|. . .|
OCSEA Meeting Notes
Jan. 13, 2014
The meeting was called to order at 3:39 p.m. by Vice President Loren Myhill as President John Wells was on his way. President John Wells arrived at 3:45pm to head the meeting.
1. Secretary Roll Call-Chris Off called the roll and a voting quorum was established. 17/21 rep. council members in attendance. We had no first time attendees. Please encourage new members to attend the February meeting.
2. Approve Minutes- Copies of the minutes of the Dec. 2, 2013 meeting were available for review with one correction made. Under President's report, 5 a) Declining enrollment- Marcia Garten moved to include "from one AU" in the sentence- to one administrator "from one AU" is looking at every single status change for any dropped students to make sure every option has been looked at to recover these students e.g. though Outreach. Mary Jane Roberts seconded, no further discussion and the minutes were approved with the added change.
3. Treasurer's Report: Treasurer Marcia Garten made available the monthly treasurer's report. The report was approved. Marcia and John made mention that CTA gave us misinformation about the FDIC savings limits going down to $100,000 by Jan. 1, 2014. This information was in error, according to the National Credit Union Association's website "COVERAGE LIMITS The standard share insurance amount is $250,000 per share owner, per insured credit union, for each account ownership category. The $250,000 standard share insurance account became permanent through the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act of 2010." The National Credit Union Association is like the FDIC for credit unions and you can find this information at http://www.ncua.gov/Legal/GuidesEtc/GuidesManuals/NCUAHowYourAcctInsured.pdf.So we do not need to open a new checking account as had been discussed in the past.
4. Vice President Report: Vice President Loren Myhill reminded members to deduct Union dues for the year totaling $926.00 when filing taxes. Loren made available a report on the Governor's proposed budget with 10 billion new dollars coming in for education. Next month we will know more. Check the CTA website for a link to the proposed budget. We have gained two new Special schools members. Welcome to our two new members.
5. President's Report: President John Wells provided the monthly up-to-date handout detailing Association Business Time out of Class 2013-2014.
a) Declining enrollment issues-We are continuing to encourage administration to solicit districts and probation to promote ACCESS referrals and enrollments. Enrollment in ACCESS is down 1,000 student ADA for this time of year. Teachers are encouraged to ask administrators what they are doing for increasing enrollment and keeping students in ACCESS and to partner with them to make this happen.
b) Retirement Notifications-to date 3 teachers from Special Schools and 5 teachers from ACCESS have signed the retirement notification form. This is not an incentive to retire, but an effort to avoid layoffs. Discussion ensued- that if you know you will retire, then take the bonus. If you are not sure, then do not sign. This Friday January 17th at 4:00 PM is the deadline to notify Human Resources in writing in order to receive the stipend.
c)Possible change in meeting dates for next year to accommodate Roger Urroz, Jr (our CTA primary contact staff) being able to attend. A possible change in our next year's meetings starting in July, 2014 would be the second Monday of every month with the exception of February Holidays. This Feb. meeting could be held the 1st Monday of February. There was discussion about moving the meetings to the second working Monday of the month, instead of the first working Monday. The dates will be determined before June meeting.
d) Meeting with Al Mijares-Pres. John Wells met with Superintendent Al Mijares and shared his perceptions of Dr. Mijares.
6. Superintendent Election- Al Mijares is up for election in June, 2014. Discussion ensued whether or not OCSEA would endorse a candidate. This issue will be considered after we know if OCDE is going to issue RIF notices this year.
7. OCDE request for renewal of waiver of Ed. Code 51745.6 regarding pupil/teacher ratio in independent studies. This waiver has been signed by OCSEA for the past three years and Pres. John Wells provided a signed copy of the letter by Richard Berman, our previous OCSEA president. The Ed Code reference was provided as well. "The ratio of average daily attendance for independent study pupils 18 years or less to county office of education full-time equivalent certificated employees responsible for independent study, to be calculated in a manner prescribed by the State Department of Education, shall not exceed the equivalent ratio of pupils to full time certificated employees for all other educational programs operated by the...unified school district with the largest average daily attendance of pupils in that county....˛ In a nutshell-OCDE cannot collect ADA in the independent study program if the ADA average is higher than the largest district in the county ADA average (SAUSD is the largest). The pros are that we will get more dollars for ADA. Our day schools run fewer students than independent study, the IS students offset our day school ADA, and this waiver protects our student number of 43 for IS. The cons are such that if we had more ADA per teacher, then we could potentially have less teachers, however this has not happened since our programs offset each other. Discussion ensued. Loren Myhill moved to endorse the waiver to sign the letter to continue to create more revenue for OCDE. Cheryl Stoltz seconded the motion. A vote was taken with 1 opposed, 1 abstention and the motion passed-not unanimous.
8. Region IV Leadership Conference in Irvine-March 14-16 hotel accommodations. Discussion ensued re: request for OCSEA to reimburse any members attending for hotel lodgings in order to promote team building and discussion after the conference ended each day. Cheryl Stoltz made a motion that OCSEA pay for hotel accommodations at the Irvine Region IV leadership conference only at a member's request. Loren seconded the motion. A vote was taken, 4 opposed, 2 abstained and 7 were in favor. The motion passed, not unanimously.
9. Dave Glick wants to establish an OCSEA forum on our website. His rationale is to increase our member base and allow only members to comment on meeting minutes, and respond back and forth to each other. At this time, our webmaster has stated there is not a way to make a protected forum on our website. Discussion ensued. Dave Glick made a motion that if our OCSEA webmaster is able to create a forum on our website, that we establish a forum for members only to comment about meetings. Dave Bush seconded the motion. A vote was taken and 4 opposed, 5 abstained and 6 were in favor. The motion passed and President John Wells will speak to the webmaster to check again into the viability of a forum on our official website.
10. Update on Retirement pins-Dave Bush passed along Carolyn Johnson's message that the retirement pins are ready and will be presented at the Feb. meeting for viewing.
11. Election Timeline- our election chair Alison Carey was not available to provide the election timeline for Executive Board next year. This will be shared at next meeting.
12. CONFERENCE SCHEDULE SIGN UPS as of Jan. 13, 2014
Jan 17-19, 2014 Las Vegas Issues Conference
Feb. 28-March 2, 2014 Equality and Human Rights Conference-Marriott Irvine
No sign ups yet
March 14-16, 2014 Good Teaching Conference-Hilton Hotel-Anaheim
April 25-27, 2014 Region IV Leadership Conference ÄėMarriott Hotel-Irvine
Mary Jane Roberts
Note: We are accepting up to 10 members per conference. Please email John of interest right away. If there is interest beyond 10 members, there will be a vote by rep council to approve. Email a copy of invoice to Marcia for payment.
Thanks to Alison Carey for providing treats for November, December and upcoming February treats. Beth Orlik will be providing treats for March, April, May and June. Well appreciated.
Meeting was adjourned at 4:55 p.m.
Next meeting Monday, February 3, 2014 at 3:30 at 281 North Rampart St. Suite A., Orange, CA 92868
Meetings for the rest of year 2014- March 3, April 7, May 5, and June 2nd-mark your calendars.