|. . .|
OCSEA Meeting Notes
Oct. 7, 2013
The meeting was called to order at 3:35 p.m. by President John Wells.
1. Secretary Chris Off called the roll and a voting quorum was established.
2. Copies of the minutes of the Sept. 9, 2013 meeting were available for review with no corrections made. No further discussion and the minutes were approved.
3. Treasurer's Report: Treasurer Marcia Garten made available the monthly treasurer's report. Discussion ensued re: new FDIC regulations re: $100,000 protection limits per bank account to take effect Jan. 1, 2014. Marcia took suggestions from the floor and will investigate opening two more accounts in either Schools First, Logics, Provident, Farmers and Merchant Bank or the OC Credit Union. The report was approved.
4. Retirement Workshop- Marcia Garten is organizing the 2nd retirement workshop that CTA provides re: STRS. It was well received last year and is for anyone wanting to learn more about STRS at any stage in your retirement planning. The date is Tuesday October 15, 2013 at 3:30pm in the Rampart office where Union meetings are held. Please RSVP to Patti Allen.
5. Vice President Report: Vice President Loren Myhill reported OCDE reports a total of 361 bargaining unit members. Thanks to Debbie Crew for educating a fee payer to sign up for CTA. Two more members were signed up by Tom Rotunno. Thank you.
6. President's Report: President John Wells provided the monthly up-to-date handout detailing Association Business Time out of Class 2013-2014.
STAR Test Update-Due to upcoming Common Core Standards, a new assessment tool is being developed called MAPP. The STAR state testing has been discontinued and will not be offered this year.
CTA Retirement Workshop on Oct. 15, 2013- 19 members have signed up and there is room for more. Administrators can be invited too. RSVP to Patti Allen.
FDIC limits may be lowered to $100,000 as of January 1, 2014. We will need to move extra dollars to two additional banks to spread out our dollars.
6. Bargaining Update- Classified is still bargaining. Please support them. John will be sending out a bargaining survey via email-asking teachers to respond by email. Please send John any bargaining items you would like to include for survey. Home email to home email is the best route of communication. Survey Monkey will not be used for voting as it is not reliable.
7. Holiday Party/Social Committee- Cheryl Stoltz and her committee have done an excellent job in setting up the Holiday party at Lucky Strike in Orange. Flyers will be emailed. The party is Dec. 5th-Thursday from 3:00-6:00pm. Please give your paraeducators a flyer when it comes out to invite and show our appreciation for the hard work that they do.
8. Fall Leadership Conference Saturday, Sept 28, 2013 at the Irvine Marriott-members reported out highlights of sessions attended.
9. John Wells reported out on current sign-ups for future conferences.
CONFERENCE SCHEDULE SIGN UPS as of Oct 7, 2013
Nov 15-17 Palm Springs GLBT Conference
Jan 17-19 Las Vegas Issues Conference
March 14-16 Good Teaching Conference-Region IV Leadership Conference-site TBD
No sign ups yet
April 25-27 Region IV Leadership Conference íńžIrvine Marriott
Mary Jane Roberts
Note: We are accepting up to 10 members per conference. Please email John of interest right away. If there is interest beyond 10 members, there will be a vote by rep council to approve. For the Las Vegas conference, check the CTA website for conference registration opening and make your hotel reservation with the CTA rate as soon as registration opens up. Email copy of invoice to Marcia for payment.
10. First time attendees. There were no first time attendees. No gift cards were disbursed. Please encourage new members to attend the November meeting.
Meeting was adjourned at 4:22 p.m.
Next meeting Monday, November 4, 2013 at 3:30 at 281 North Rampart St. Suite A., Orange, CA 92868
Meetings for the rest of year-December 2, Jan. 13, Feb 3, March 3, April 7, May 5, and June 2nd-mark your calendars.