|. . .|
OCSEA Meeting Notes
Nov. 4, 2013
The meeting was called to order at 3:34 p.m. by President John Wells.
1. Secretary Chris Off called the roll and a voting quorum was established.
2. Copies of the minutes of the Oct. 7, 2013 meeting were available for review with no corrections made. No further discussion and the minutes were approved.
3. Treasurer's Report: Treasurer Marcia Garten made available the monthly treasurer's report. The report was approved.
4. Vice President Report: Vice President Loren Myhill reported OCDE reports a total of 361 bargaining unit members.
5. President's Report: President John Wells provided the monthly up-to-date handout detailing Association Business Time out of Class 2013-2014.
a) Retirement Workshop- The 2nd retirement workshop that CTA provided re: STRS was well received again on Tuesday October 15, 2013.
6. Bargaining Update:
a) John will be sending out a bargaining survey via email by the end of this week - asking teachers to respond by email. Please send John any bargaining items you would like to include for survey. Home email to home email is the best route of communication. Survey Monkey will not be used for voting to maintain integrity of the survey and it is not reliable.
b) Compensation and Benefits are always included as openers and we are allowed to propose 2 others. Discussion ensued and suggestions were taken from the rep council for further openers and John Wells will include these in the upcoming survey.
7. Holiday Party/Social Committee- The Holiday party will be at Lucky Strike in Orange. Flyers have been emailed. The party is Dec. 5th-Thursday from 3:00-6:00pm. Please give your paraeducators and subs a flyer and invite them to show our appreciation for the hard work that they do. Teachers may bring a guest as well. Please RSVP to Patti Allen HYPERLINK "mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org" email@example.com as soon as possible so the social committee can get a head count. Please promote the party as it will be good to get together in a fun setting.
8. Fischer Student Discipline- Administration at Fischer School has changed the student discipline policy from 3 days removal to 1 day removal. The goal is to decrease the number of SIRs according to direction from the Juvenile Justice System. SIRs are written up per Ed Code and currently a teacher was allowed to remove a student for 2 days or more when it was deemed necessary for the safety of the classroom. Discussion ensued and John Wells will grieve this issue when it is brought to his attention.
9. There will be a meeting on December 2nd to review the Bargaining Survey Results and Openers
10. John Wells reported out on current sign-ups for future conferences. He is keeping a running list:
CONFERENCE SCHEDULE SIGN UPS as of Oct 7, 2013
Nov 15-17 Palm Springs GLBT Conference
Jan 17-19 Las Vegas Issues Conference
March 14-16 Good Teaching Conference-Region IV Leadership Conference-site TBD
No sign ups yet
April 25-27 Region IV Leadership Conference -- Irvine Marriott
Mary Jane Roberts
Note: We are accepting up to 10 members per conference. Please email John of interest right away. If there is interest beyond 10 members, there will be a vote by rep council to approve. The Las Vegas conference is now open for registration on the CTA website. Make your hotel reservation as soon as possible to get the CTA rate. Email a copy of invoice to Marcia for payment.
10. First time attendees. We had one first time attendee-Rosalinda Ramirez. Welcome! One gift card was disbursed to Rosalinda and one to Monica Ramirez who brought Rosalinda. Please encourage new members to attend the December meeting.
Thank you to Julie Ames for providing the snacks for the past 6 months or so. Thanks to Alison Carey for this and next month's treats. Well appreciated.
Meeting was adjourned at 4:20 p.m.
Next meeting Monday, December 2, 2013 at 3:30 at 281 North Rampart St. Suite A., Orange, CA 92868
Meetings for the rest of year 2014- Jan. 13, Feb 3, March 3, April 7, May 5, and June 2nd-mark your calendars.