|. . .|
OCSEA Meeting Notes
February 4, 2013
The meeting was called to order at 3:37 p.m. by President John Wells.
1.Secretary Chris Off called the roll and a quorum was established. 28 total attendees
2.Copies of the minutes of the December 3, 2012 meeting were available. No further discussion and the minutes were approved.
3.Treasurer's Report: Treasurer Marcia Garten made available the monthly treasurer's report. Discussion ensued and the report was approved. A motion was made by Julie Ames to approve reimbursement to Ruth Ramirez for the CTA Issues Conference first night stay of $125.00 which was charged even though she was unable to attend due to illness. Ruth said she would try to get the charge reversed as Linda Gruber did. If that occurs, no reimbursement is necessary. Marcia Garten seconded. The motion passed.
4.Vice President Report: Vice President Loren Myhill reported there are a total of 383 bargaining unit members.
5. President's Report:
a) President John Wells provided the monthly up-to-date handout detailing Association Business Time Out of Class 2012-2013.
b) Retirement Notification-17 teachers have applied for the early retirement incentive (12 ACCESS teachers and 5 Special Schools teachers). RIF update: Unlikely-will see at March 15th notices.
c) The Conference Coordinator position is no longer a position and all conference requests will go to John Wells-President and Marcia Garten-Treasurer.
d) The motion to increase the number of members authorized to go to the Issues Conference from 10 to 15 passed by email vote of 10 yes and 3 no.
e) The CTA sponsored Issues Conference in Las Vegas-January 18-January 20, 2013 was attended by 9 teachers-see reports at end.
6. A motion was made by Debbie Crew to have a reporting out by anyone attending future OCSEA paid for conferences. This report out would be at the discretion of the attendee either provide written report to be included in future newsletter or present verbally at the rep council meeting. Loren Myhill seconded the motion. Discussion ensued and motion passed unanimously.
7. President John Wells would like to keep the OCSEA phone number (714-495-9996), port it to Google Voice and give up the OCSEA President cell phone for a savings of over $100.00 per month. The calls would still be forwarded to John Wells at his personal phone. A motion was made by Julie Ames to authorize the President/Treasurer to port the OCSEA phone number to Google Voice to save the monthly phone cost. The OCSEA phone number would remain the same and the President would still get forwarded all OCSEA related calls. Mike Kashdan seconded. Discussion ensued and motion passed.
8. Election Committee Update-there will be training on Wed. Feb. 27th, 2013 from 4:00p.m.-6:00p.m. at CTA office in Orange (same location as our meetings) for the upcoming election to vote for new rep council members. Anyone who is a member, not fee payor, not running for rep council and not an executive board member can be on this committee. The executive board can assist but cannot be a member of this committee. President John Wells will go to the first meeting. Volunteers to this committee can get release time as needed. Patti Allen was nominated, along with volunteers Ruth Ramirez, Carolyn Johnson and Maria Martinez. Contact John Wells if you have an interest.
9) Bargaining Survey- Two openers include: Compensation (Appendix B) and Benefits (Article 18). Two other possible openers were discussed. A motion was made by Julie Ames to open up Article 10 (Employment Conditions-class size for online) and Article 220.127.116.11 (Compensation Narrative-work days). Linda Gruber seconded the motion. Motion was approved.
10) PCHS Summer school sign up. A motion was made by Dave Bush to guide the administration to a more equitable way of signing up teachers for overtime pay during the summer time. The motion was seconded by Mike Rainis. Discussion ensued with ideas of seniority, taking turns with overtime pay, and a lottery system to sign up. An amendment to the motion was made by Dave Bush to take the advice that was given in today's meeting to guide the bargaining team. Mike Juarez seconded the motion. Motion was approved.
11) President John Wells suggested that additional training opportunities are available for Bargaining Team members beside the CTA and administration training. A motion was made by Julie Ames to authorize up to two days for Bargaining Team members to attend outside local trainings not to exceed $500.00 per person for five Bargaining team members by Feb. 1, 2014. Beth Orlick seconded the motion. Discussion ensued and motion passed.
12) Issues and GLBT Conference report outs by Gabriella Jones, Cheryl Stoltz, Dianne Freedman, Mary Burton, Marcia Garten, Mary Jane Roberts, Beth Orlik and Loren Myhill. All members had positive experiences and recommend this conference to all members. Topics included pensions, CLSTRS, 403bs, STAR test will be changing format nationwide; CTA/NEA services available, retiree benefits; ramification of low performing schools; legal issues, state of the budget, healthcare impacts, newsletter ideas, principal evaluations; COE (County Office of Ed) acknowledgment, Common Core; protecting LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender) students, ACLU website. Loren reported out as our State Council Rep with his assignment to policy group. Information obtained for online learning, Prop 30, sales tax is now 8%, and caucus for COE at $30.00 per year. Please talk to any of the conference attendees who would be happy to share out more of what they learned.
Dave Bush moved to adjourn the meeting. Mike Rainis seconded and the meeting was adjourned at 5:22 p.m.
Next meeting Monday, March 4, 2013