|. . .|
OCSEA Meeting Notes
March 3, 2014
The meeting was called to order at 3:39 p.m. by Vice President Loren Myhill. President John Wells arrived at 3:43 p.m. Pledge of Allegiance recited. Thank you to Lonnie Howerton for providing the flag.
1. Secretary Roll Call-Chris Off called the roll and a voting quorum was established. 18/21 rep. council members in attendance. Please encourage new members to attend the April 7th meeting.
2. Approve Minutes- Copies of the minutes from the Feb. 3, 2014 meeting were available for review and the minutes were approved with no added changes.
3. Treasurer's Report: Treasurer Marcia Garten made available the monthly Treasurer's report. The report was approved.
4. Vice President Report: Vice President Loren Myhill stated we have 357 due paying members and have lost two fee paying members due to early retirements.
5. President's Report:
a) President John Wells provided the monthly up-to-date handout detailing Association Business Time out of Class 2013-2014.
b)Possible change in meeting dates: for next year to accommodate Roger Urroz, Jr (our CTA primary contact staff) attendance. It is proposed that next year's meetings starting in July, 2014 be the second Monday of every month with the exception of February, 2015. This Feb. meeting could be held the 1st Monday of February. The dates will be determined before the June meeting and provided to the CTA Rampart staff for approval. Proposed dates are: 7/14/14, 8/11/14, 9/8/14, 10/13/14, 11/10/14, 12/8/14, 1/12/15, 2/2/15, 3/9/15, 4/13/15, 5/11/15, and 6/8/15.
c)Declining enrollment- enrollment continues to decline compared to last Jan/Feb, 2013 to this Jan/Feb 2014. We have fewer students but we have favorable dollars coming in. The COLA tentative budget is 0.86%. Continue to partner with administration and ask what we are doing to increase enrollment, in particular adult enrollment. The Santa Ana Detention Center has closed as of last Thursday-after being served for 16 years. Discussion ensued.
d)Negotiations Update-discussion on S1S MOUs.
6. S1S MOU's Ratification-PCHS MOU available and passed out for review and ratification. The ACCESS MOU was not available and will be emailed to the rep council members for review. Training will now be held outside of bargaining member's contracted work day. Training will be shortened-same number of training days but shorter sessions. Members questioned why the change and discussion ensued.
The intent agreed upon by the negotiations team was that the $3000 stipend covers completion of all required duties with students, and mandatory training outside the contracted work day. The rep. council and members were reminded that the wording of the MOU was not written properly in previous years. It was a perk in previous years. CHEP and Special Schools have never been paid for training within the work day due to off school schedules. There may be fewer students this S1S or the same due to the new funding formula and how some districts are handling their own summer school programs. Administration will provide dates to sign up as last year with the same lottery system. Watch for dates.
The bargaining team made a recommendation to ratify the MOU/Supplemental Salary Agreement for certificated teachers working in the Pacific Coast High School program during the period of time from July 1, 2014 through August 8, 2014. President brought the MOU to a vote-10 in favor, 4 opposed, 3 abstaining. The PCHS S1S MOU was ratified.
7. Superintendent Election: Al Mijares is up for election in June, 2014. Michael Kashdan made a motion to table a vote on endorsing Al Mijares. Carolyn Johnson seconded the motion and the vote was unanimous in favor of the motion.
8. OCSEA Executive Board Election Timeline: our election chair Alison Carey provided information re: the upcoming executive board election. The president, vice president, treasurer and secretary are up for election. On Monday, March 10, 2014-the election committee will mail home ballots-they need to be returned by Wednesday, March 26, 2014. Walk-Ins can vote on Wednesday, March 26, 2014 at the Rampart office. Dates of voting will be sent out to the membership by the election chair.
9. Jan 17-19, 2014 Las Vegas Issues Conference Share Outs : Steve Slack shared out a workshop re: the Affordable care Act and the 2018 eventual effect on health care with the Cadillac Tax. Please see or e-mail Steve for more information.
OCSEA Internet forum update: Dave Glick is investigating this topic and has ideas to create a forum.
10. CONFERENCE SCHEDULE SIGN UPS as of March 3, 2014
March 14-16, 2014 Good Teaching Conference-Hilton Hotel-Anaheim
No sign ups yet
April 25-27, 2014 Region IV Leadership Conference--Marriott Hotel-Irvine
Mary Jane Roberts
August 3-7, 2014 Summer Institute-UCLA Conference Center, LA
Note: We are accepting up to 10 members per conference with the exception of the April Leadership conference (20). Please email John of interest right away. If there is interest beyond 10 members, there will be a vote by rep council to approve. Email a copy of invoice to Marcia for payment.
Thanks to Beth Orlik for March snacks. Beth Orlik will be providing snacks for April, May and June. Well appreciated.
Meeting was adjourned at 4:45 p.m.
Next meeting Monday, April 7, 2014 at 3:30 at 281 North Rampart St. Suite A., Orange, CA 92868
Meetings for the rest of year 2014- May 5, and June 2nd-mark your calendars.