MINUTES

June 5, 2006

Registration of Members and guests

Meeting called to order at 3:33

Role call of Rep. Council



Secretary presents the minutes:

Minutes approved as amended. Under Nurses’Äô evaluation form committee, it should read ’Ķ at that meeting an evaluation form was developed (not completed) ’Ķ

Treasurers Report

Treasurer’Äôs report approved as presented

Committee Reports’Ķ. written’Ķ

Nurses Evaluation Form committee: Pat Wiley chair. It was moved, seconded, and approved that the nurses’Äô evaluation form be used as a 2-year pilot. Pat discussed the new evaluation form and the changes made. After discussion, a caveat was added that an overall unsatisfactory must be the result of 2 of the 3 standards being deemed unsatisfactory.

Gifts to first time attendees: Our new CTA representative, Norma Potter, was attending the meeting, and as this was her first time, she received a gift certificate.

Communications: The web site needs to reflect the changes in staff: Change our CTA staff person from Lisa Eck to Norma Potter, add May minutes and add new officer information.

PAR Committee report. Carolyn or Nancy: The PAR committee has almost completed a form to be filled out by Principals which would encourage Principals to help struggling teachers and, hopefully, preclude unsatisfactory evaluations. The next meeting is set for 1:00 on June 8th.

Elections committee: Pat Elliot presented election results. 370 ballots were mailed out. 149 were returned. Of the 149 ballots, 6 were not counted: 1 was late and 5 had no signatures. Loren Myhill will remain in the office of President for a 2nd term; Rich Berman will be the new Vice President; Randy Durham will be the new Secretary; and Mary Burton will remain our Treasurer for a 2nd term. Each ran unopposed.

Presidents report:

Negotiations update: Copies of the new bargaining unit Agreement should have all been distributed and is also available on the intranet. Per OCSEA By-laws, the President appoints the Bargaining Team and then his/her recommendations are voted on by the Representative Council. Of the 13 representative council members present, 10 approved and 3 opposed the new Bargaining Team.

John Wells will be replacing Nancy Hollenbeck, and Art Santos, Mary Burton, Loren Myhill, Mary Jane Roberts will remain.

Monitoring the contract: Rick Martin claims that efforts are being made to bring rosters into compliance with the contract, but numerous violations continue, and the Department has been withholding enrollment data from Loren for the past four weeks. Legal action may be necessary.

Roster size violations must always be reported to the union and your principal. Principals are responsible for all student placements and must be held strictly to our contractual Agreement.

All teachers must report violations to the contract. Even if it is another teacher at your site who is being violated it is a serious matter and does affect you. Please read page 31 of the new Contract. It spells out class and roster size, as well as classroom space. Never forget that an injury to one is an injury to all. No one should be working in a hostile work environment, and the vast majority of us do not. We must rally in support of anyone who is being abused and not ever become tolerant of this behavior. Everyone suffers in a negative environment, but we can change it if we all unite and stand up for each other.

Old business

New member packets and calendars. Please take enough packets for new members at your site and a calendar for yourself and everyone at your site who may need one. You can also give these packets to all fee payers so they can see the value of membership.

Site visits: Loren will continue to visit sites as time permits. If you want your site or staff meeting to be next in priority, please let us know.


New business

Treasurer reimbursements: Give receipts to Mary Burton if expenditure has been approved.

UCLA SUMMER INSTITUTE is July30-August 4, 2006. Approved attendees can register at HYPERLINK "http://www.cta.org" www.cta.org It was moved and seconded that OCSEA send up to 10 members to UCLA and 1 (the President) to Asilomar (the President’Äôs Conference). After discussion, the motion was amended to send 2 (the President and Vice President) to Asilomar. The motion carried as amended. Remember that the Contract sets aside Association time for attending Conferences, so a person attending does not have to take nonwork or sick days.

Town hall meetings and survey: Loren felt the town hall meetings were helpful in helping to set

up the areas of concern for bargaining. This year only two areas are going to be reopened but we need to decide as an organization on those two areas. Town Hall meetings will be set up tentatively for the 3rd week in June. Rich Berman and Pat Elliot both agreed to host meetings. In addition, Cara Petitte will talk to representatives from North PAR to hold a Town Hall Meeting there. A special meeting on Tuesday, June 27th, will be held at Alton to set up surveys. All old and new officer, bargaining team members, and town hall facilitators should be present.

OSCC 2006 Fall Leadership Conference will be held October 6-8 at the Hyatt Regency Islandia on San Diego’Äôs Mission Bay. Registration is online and must be done by September.

Next meeting location and time: No July or August meetings! Next meeting is September 11, 2006!

Items from the membership as time permits. Nancy Hollenbeck related that Marv Van Horne, retired OCDE teacher and OCSEA President and Representative for many years, died. It was moved, seconded, and approved that a memorial scholarship be set up in Marv’Äôs name. a committee was set up to delineate the parameters of the scholarship, which would be available next year.


Meeting adjourned at 5:10.


Web site: Presently using HYPERLINK "http://www.ocsea.com/" http://www.ocsea.com

Also check out HYPERLINK http://pchsonline.blackboard.com http://pchsonline.blackboard.com user name and password ocsea.