|. . .|
OCSEA Meeting Notes
Sept 9, 2013
The meeting was called to order at 3:45 p.m. by President John Wells.
1. Secretary Chris Off called the roll and a voting quorum was established. Sixteen of the seventeen rep. council members were in attendance when the meeting was called to order.
2. Copies of the minutes of the June 3, 2013 meeting were available for review with no corrections made. No further discussion and the minutes were approved.
3. Treasurer's Report: Treasurer Marcia Garten made available the monthly treasurer's report. Discussion ensued re: switching banks to get more interest but few banks like to take non-profits. The report was approved.
4. Retirement Workshop- Marcia Garten is organizing the 2nd retirement workshop that CTA provides re: STRS. It was well received last year. The date is Tuesday October 15, 2013 at 3:30pm in the Rampart office where Union meetings are held. John Wells will send out a flyer in the next few days.
5. Vice President Report: Vice President Loren Myhill reported OCDE reports a total of 450 bargaining unit members which appears to be an error as this past June the number was 380. Loren passed out this year's 2013-2014 CTA membership cards. Any corrections on addresses should be emailed to Loren. Any missing card names should be emailed to Loren. Rep council members will assist in passing out cards and Loren will mail the remainder home.
6. President's Report: President John Wells provided the monthly up-to-date handout detailing Association Business Time out of Class 2013-2014.
a) President's Conference-John Wells and Julie Ames attended in San Jose. The course training was excellent.
b) Sunburst visit- John Wells and Roger Urroz, Jr. (our CTA primary contact staff) visited our Sunburst site last Friday.
c) Negotiations Update- We are not in negotiations at this current time. Please support your classified staff in their negotiation efforts and support them as you would like to.
d) Superintendent Election- Al Mijares will be running in June 2014. We have no information about any possible opposing candidate(s).
7. Fall Leadership Conference -- scheduled for Saturday Sept 28th at 7:30 a.m. at the Irvine Marriott. Julie Ames made a motion to send everyone who wants to go with the Association picking up the $25.00 fee and parking/mileage costs. Marcia Garten seconded the motion. The motion passed. Rep council members are asked to encourage other Association members to attend and email John Wells of interest.
8. Conference Schedule for Year- John Wells passed out a conference schedule for the year so plans can be made ahead of time to attend.
9. Encouraging members to come to meetings- In year's past-gift cards were passed out to first time attendees at Union meetings. Carolyn Johnson made a motion to purchase $10 gift cards and pass out at the next October 7th meeting and future meetings to any first time attendees along with a $10.00 gift card to the person inviting the new attendee. Dave Bush seconded the motion. Discussion ensued and the motion passed.
10. Holiday Party/Social Committee- John Wells presented an idea to use the Uniserve rebate to pay for the December Holiday party. No money would come out of OCSEA dues to pay for the party. This would work out to having CTA pay for our holiday party. There would not be a charge to attend the Holiday party and we could consider inviting admin, classified, anyone we want to invite. Cheryl Stoltz made a motion to use the Uniserve rebate dollars for this year's Holiday party and for extra dollars to stay in the Budget for future Holiday parties. Dave Bush seconded the motion. Discussion ensued and motion passed. The social committee can decide where and how the party will be planned. John Wells has nominated Cheryl Stoltz as Social committee chair. Julie Ames seconded and Cheryl accepted.
11. Calendar Committee-John Wells has removed himself from the calendar committee. John nominated Julie Ames and Diana Freeman to be on this committee. Cheryl Stoltz seconded with no one opposed. Admin contacts the committee in spring for their input. Julie and Dianna welcome input from the members when the draft calendars come out.
12. Summer Institute Report- Gabriella Jones attended and said it was an excellent conference.
Meeting was adjourned at 4:45 p.m.
Next meeting Monday, October 7, 2013 at 3:30 at 281 North Rampart St. Suite A., Orange, CA 92868